Friday 23 March 2012

T is for Tasty and for Tempeh :)


Hey friends



Tempeh is the less popular but way more attractive brother of Tofu. It’s less processed, has more protein and fiber and actually has a delicious taste. You can buy is from health food stores and also now at Coles, at least the one in Toowong has it. I’ve used it for a while, as a meat substitute for Spag Bowl but last night I tried searing it instead and it is INSANELY good and crazy simply. I got this recipe here.

Ingredients:
1 pkg Tempeh
2/3 cups water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1-2 cloves of garlic
1” grated fresh ginger

Method:
Mix all the ingredients aside from the tempeh in a bowl. This is the marinade.

Cut tempeh into triangles, or any shape you like really. Then in a med/hot pan, brown the pieces on both sides, so that they’re nice and crispy. At this stage it’s up to you how much oil you want to use, I’m a believer in more is always tastier.

Add the marinade to the pan and let boil for 3-5 mins, then reduce and let simmer uncovered for about 25 mins. By this time all the marinade should be soaked into the tempeh but I did find my marinade absorbed quickly so just add extra water as needed.

It’s done!

I cut this up into stripes and we had it the next day on wraps for lunch. It was soooo tasty and filling. The flavour does remind me of my favourite meal as a kid, honey and soy chicken. My mum used to serve it with fried rice so next time I’m going to try adding a little rice syrup and serving it the same way as a main meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment